Niche released its 2020 Best School Districts ranking based on factors including test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality, public school district ratings and more. You can see the complete methodology here.
The highest-ranked school district in Alabama was Mountain Brook City, which finished 24th nationally. The district has 4,343 students in six schools.
Madison City School system was named the 46th best in the country. The system has 11 schools and 10,440 students.
Homewood City School system was 80th best. The system has five schools and 4,170 students.
Four other school systems ranked among top 250th: Hoover City Schools (133rd); Auburn City Schools (207th); Vestavia Hills City Schools (235th); and Trussville City Schools (243rd).
In Alabama, the top 10 school districts were:
1. Mountain Brook City Schools
2. Madison City Schools
3. Homewood City Schools
4. Hoover City Schools
5. Auburn City Schools
6. Vestavia Hills City Schools
7. Trussville City Schools
8. Muscle Shoals City Schools
9. Hartselle City Schools
10. Cullman City Schools
Nationally, Niche’s top 10 schools districts were:
1. Glenbrook High Schools District 225 Glenview, Illinois
2. Community High School District No. 128 Vernon Hills, Illinois
3. Great Neck Public Schools, Great Neck New, York
4. New Trier Township High School District 203, Northfield, Illinois
5. Jericho Union Free School District, Jericho, New York
6. Township High School District No. 113 Highland Park, Illinois
7. Solon City School District, Solon, Ohio
8. Tredyffrin-Easttown School District, Wayne, Pennsylvania
9. Indian Hill Exempted Village School District, Cincinnati, Ohio
10. Hinsdale Township High School District 86, Hinsdale, Illinois